Brief History of Osun State
Osun was created in August 27, 1991 from part of the old Oyo State . The state’s name is derived from the River Osun , the venerated natural spring that is, the manifestation of the Yoruba goddess of the same name.
Osun is an inland state in south-western Nigeria. Its capital is Osogbo. It is bounded in the north by Kwara State, in the east partly by Ekiti State and partly by Ondo State, in the south by Ogun State and in the west by Oyo State. According to 2006 census, Osun state has the total population of 3,416,959.
Osun State is divided into three federal senatorial districts, each of which composed of two administrative zones. The state capital consists of thirty (30) Local Government Area, the primary (third-tier) unit of government in Nigeria.
Religion in Osun State
Osun has a large population of both Muslims and Christians. Among the famous religious leaders from Osun State is the London-based Muslim cleric Sheikh Dr. Abu-Abdullah Adelabu, who hailed from the state’s capital city, Osogbo and Pastor (Dr.) Johnson Ade Odewale of Christ Apostolic church, Calvary Assembly from Odeomu, who is based in Boston, USA. The popular pastor E.A Adeboye hails from Ifewara in Osun state. The Osun State government claims to offer services to both Muslims and Christians in the state.
The major traditional rulers in Osun State acclaim either the Faith of Islam or Christianity, for instance, Ooni of Ife Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II) and Owa Obokun Adimula of Ijesaland Oba Gabriel Adekunle (Aromolaran II) ascribe to Christianity, while Orangun of (Ile) Ila-Orangun Oba Wahab Kayode Adedeji Oyedotun (Arutu-Oluokun Bibiire I) , Ataoja of Osogbo Oba Jimoh Olaonipekun Oyetunji (Larooye II) e.t.c practice Islam.
Institutions in Osun State
Osun state has one federal university: Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile- ife, (formerly called The University of Ife founded in 1962 and was subsequently renamed Obafemi Awolowo University in 1987), one state university: Osun State University, and six private universities: Adeleke University, Osogbo, Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji, Oduduwa University, Ile-ife. Osun state has a total of 8 universities (both public and private), five polytechnics and five colleges of education.
Natural Resources in the State
Osun state is a domain of intellectuals that harbours human, capital and natural resources- the habitat home of the rich, wealthy and prominent; the natural environment for animals, plants and other organisms; and a blessed large deposit of natural resources of oil, Granite, Columbite e.t.c.
Mineral resources in the state includes Gikd, Talc, Tourmaline, Columbite, Granite. It also has many agricultural resources.
Business Opportunities in the State
Agribusiness is one of the primary business of the people of Osun State. There are very fertile grounds that can produce good crops that could possibly yield profits. Transportation business is also one of the business opportunity in this state that is really welcome by the society.
Other investment opportunities include: light manufacturing, healthcare, energy, mining, tourism.
Places to visit in this state: Olumirin waterfall, Erin- ijesha, Oranmiyan staff, Ile- ife, Ife museum, Enuwa square Ile- ife, Ooni’s palace, Enuwa Ile-ife, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile- ife. Other places include: Osogbo Arts and Metal works, Osun cultural festival (Osun river), Museum of Arts, Ile-ife, African Heritage Gallery, Okonfo Rao, Kawawa, Genesis Gallery, Osogbo.
Latest News in Osun State Today
- Osun: Akande birthed legacy of prudent, transparent management of resources -Oyetola
- Osun LG Parliamentarian, Owoade Distributes 10,000 Exercise Books To Public Schools
- Oyetola Commends FG For Establishing Zonal Fire Office In Osun
- Oyetola Seeks France’s Support On Vocational Education
- Commendations As Osun Gov, Oyetola Inaugurates 10 Renovated PHCs
- Oyetola Inaugurates 8 PHCs, Renews Commitment To Prioritize Citizen’s Health
- World Bank Rating: Osun APC Challenges PDP
- Osun Bags World Bank Nigeria Portfolio Performance Award
- Osun To Disengage 422 Workers For Forgery, Others
- Osun And Continuity: Aregbesola, Oyetola Example
- Price of kerosene up 10.8% as cooking gas drops
- Buhari attends 74th session of UN general assembly in New York
- Registration: Cooperate with NIS officials, Gov. Oyetola urges migrants
- Osun to create 25,000 new jobs through dairy project
- HACEY Health Initiative launches ‘Clean Water Project’
- Tinubu bags African democracy award
- Insecurity: FG tasks governors on use of technology
- We’ll win Bayelsa, Kogi guber elections – PDP
- Community Policing: Ganduje seeks stakeholders collaboration
- Over 100 LGAs in 33 States affected by flood crisis — NIHSA
- Gov. Oyetola opens 8 refurbished health centres
- Osun Fedpoly ASUP to embark on strike for SUG president’s action
- Gov. Oyetola: Osun is 28 but we are celebrating low-key
- Osun declares public holiday for traditional worshippers
- Osun lucky not to have uneducated street dancer as governor – Baderinwa
- Retirement package: Oyetola presents N1.13bn bond certificate
- Osun: ’56 out of 1,000 new babies die within 28 days of birth’
- Bizarre! Smokers celebrate ‘Indian Hemp Day’ in Osun, attack mosque
- Man arraigned for allegedly assaulting police officer in Osun
- Suspected fake medical doctor arrested in Osun