Brief History of Ogun State
Ogun State is situated in the south western part of Nigeria. It is the 24th state in Nigeria according to size with its 16,980.55 square kilometres. By population, it is 16th with approximately 3.75 million people. The major language spoken in the state is Yoruba. Abeokuta, the state’s capital is its largest city. Ogun State’s neighbours are the country of Benin on the west, Ondo State on the east, Osun and Oyo states on the north and Lagos State on the south.
The earliest mentions of the territory that is now known as Ogun State was earliest mentioned as far back as around 1830. During that time, the great Oyo Empire was falling apart and people were trying to get away. One brave leader and hunter by the name of Shodeke led his people (Egba refugees) to the land, which has since become Abeokuta, roughly the central part of the today’s Ogun State.
Ogun State became an actual state in 1976, on February 3 to be precise. Before, the land (which it occupies today) was a part of the Western State. Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo and Gen. Murtala Muhammad were the ones who created it during the military period of Nigeria history. The state has twenty one local government areas.
The state is named after the Ogun River, which flows through it from its northern part all the way through to the southern and enters into Lagos State. Ogun State also has a motto, which is The Gateway State.
Institutions In The State
Ogun has one Federal University: the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta; one state government college of education, Tai Solarin College of Education (TASCE), (formerly known as Ogun State College of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu-Ode, one Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, one state government polytechnic, Moshood Abiola Polythechnic (MAPOLY), formerly known as Ogun State Polythechnic, Ojere, Abeokuta, and two state government universities: Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye (formerly known as Ogun State University), and the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijebu Ode. Ogun State has a total 14 universities (both public and private), three polytechnics, and two colleges of education.
Notable Names From Ogun State
Notable people like Obafemi Awolowo, MKO Abiola, Mike Adenuga, Olusegun Obasanjo, Wole Soyinka, Fela Kuti, Tunde Bakare and so on hails from the state.
The major food crops include rice, maize, cassava, yam and banana. The main cash crops include cocoa, kolanut, rubber, palm oil and palm kernels. Ogun State is one of the largest producers of kolanut in the country. It also produces timber and rubber on a large scale. About 20% of its total area is constituted of forest reserve suitable for livestock. Mineral resources available include chalk, phosphate, high quality stones and gravels for construction works. There is also massive investment in safety and security as well as a deliberate effort to ease off traffic gridlock and loss of man-hours in different parts of the state metropolis through the construction of laybys and installation of streetlights. The state is also upgrading and upscaling its land administration processes to enable investors and home seekers to acquire land in a convenient, affordable and easy way.
READ: Kwara State News Today
Places to visit in the State: Olumo Rock in Abeokuta, Birikisu Sugbo Shrine at Oke-Eri, Yemoji Natural Swimming Pool at Ijebu-Ode, Oyan Dam in Abeokuta North, Iwopin Boat Regatta and Ebute-Oni in Ogun Waterside. Others sities are Madam Tinubu Shrine, Abeokuta; Oronna Shrine, Ilaro. Area J4 Forest Reserve; Tongeji Island, Ipokia. Old Manse at Ogbe,Abeokuta; St.James Anglican School, Ota and Ijamido River Shrine,Ota.
Read Latest News in Ogun State Today
- Governor’s Challenge
- Ogun Tech Hub: Gov. Abiodun launches Ogun Tech Hub
- Ogun portal: Gov. Abiodun pledges jobs
- BUHARI MEETS ABIODUN, OSOBA, OGUN LEADERS IN ABUJA
- OGUN GOVT TO INSTITUTIONALIZE CULTURE OF CONTINUITY
- OGUN FIRST LADY TAKES HEPATITIS B ZERO CAMPAIGN TO OGUN COUNCIL AREAS
- OGUN STATE GOVERNMENT BEGINS EXTENSIVE PALLIATIVE MEASURES ON SANGO OJODU ABIODUN ROAD.
- LAST BATCH OF OGUN PILGRIMS DEPART FOR SAUDI
- WE WON’T ALLOW BENIN REPUBLIC TAKE TONGEJI ISLAND, GOV ABIODUN VOWS
- OGUN EYES CHINESE MARKET… TO COLLABORATE WITH IRISH COMPANY FOR MILK EXPORT
- Gov. Abiodun Equips Nta 12, Information Ministry
- Abiodun Applauds Code Of Conduct Bureau
- OGSG Commences Construction Of Housing Estates
- Ogun Remains Best Destination For Investors- Abiodun
- Deputy Governor Becomes Girl Guides’ Centenary Matron
- Ogun Judiciary To Benefit From New ICT Wave
- Prince Dapo Abiodun Assures Adherence To Rule Of Law
- Ogun Assembly Clarifies Amount Expended On Road Projects
- I went through nine pre-election court cases – Abiodun
- Tribunal victory: Tinubu congratulates Ogun governor